Sunday, September 7, 2014

Twenty-Three Things for my 23rd.

twenty-three things for twenty-three years lived
(one.) Jesus. I always simply need more of Jesus in my life.
(two.) Studying theology has the potential to encourage your walk with Christ and awaken your senses, your brain, and your spirit. Studying ABOUT God should always lead me into deeper WORSHIP of God. 
(three.) Night walks in St. Elmo offer lots of life, joy, and adventure.
(four.) Sometimes God asks you to faithfully plod, sometimes He asks you to finish well, and sometimes He even takes you on adventures. All of it is pretty grand with Him.
(five.) There is a sweet juice to drink from a thistle. This is one of God's many gifts to humanity. 
(six.) The lilacs are a great joy. They are women of integrity, laughter, and individuality. The love of Christ binds us together.
(seven.) Enjoy life. In all honesty, fun really does undo nonsense. 
(eight.) I like to drink wine with Beth and Pina Coladas with Elle girl. [not at the same time]
(nine.) Marriage is BIG, BEAUTIFUL, and the BEST. I am not married, but watching so many people I love get married has been one of the biggest privileges in my life. I will always fight for the marriages of those I love. 
(ten.) The church calendar is so intentional. In the midst of being aware of it, I have continued to learn that it is more important to simply go where Jesus is taking you. To always say yes to his invitation- whether it was an invitation to something joy-filled in the middle of lent or sanctification and lament in the midst of Easter-tide. It is all ok. It is all a gift.
(eleven.) Set up a hammock. Get a cup of ice coffee. And drink it. Just do it. 
(twelve.) Continue to press into life. Continue to press into the questions. Putting life on 'pause' while we wait for answers is not what we are called to. 
(thirteen.) Simply, be in it.
(fourteen.) This year I have seen a lot of ugliness in the Church. In the midst of the wrestling and struggling, I continue to ask God to give me his heart for his bride, to let me be lovesick for him, my bridegroom, and to let me care more about his love story than mine.
(fifteen.) It is ok to run a mile to Bi-Lo, buy a Diet Coke, and walk back home drinking it. 
(sixteen.) I am always really humbled by how hard transition is for me. always. Christ is made strong in my weakness. 
(seventeen.) Fireworks. I feel encouraged to be brave when I see fireworks.
(eighteen.) This summer, I had to ask God for courage to knock on every single door. It never got easier, but I never doubted that he would show up and allow there to be connection and friendship.
(nineteen.) I believe that relationships are miraculous. 
(twenty.) I like Parenthood, Melissa and Joey, and Flashpoint. 
(twenty-one.) I still get excited when I think about how Jesus saved me from a life of depression and gave me a life of hope and joy. I hope I never loose my since of wonder in who Christ is.
(twenty-two.) Being an aunt to four little men feels like the best thing in the whole wide world. (I still would love to have a little niece:)

(twenty-three.) I hope year 23 is the best yet and that I learn to trust his great timing. 

I am thankful for life.

1 comment:

  1. As usual...your posts bring me great joy! I am an uncle to many nieces, all of them extraordinary. God bless you Emily! You are deeply loved.

    ReplyDelete